Saturday, October 25, 2008

Pau Hana- summary of our 1st week in Hawaii



We finally made it back "home" to good 'ole California after 3 long wonderful weeks in Oahu and Maui. Yes, we had a pretty much perfect set-up being able to stay in Oahu for Mat's work the first week and then visit our family in Maui and spend a week there before going back to Oahu again. Each day was a blessing and we tried to make the most of it.

Every day Mat worked I would feel so guilty but grateful at the same time. I knew Lana and I would have a fun adventure while he'd be off working and we'd miss him but at the same time it's what made our trip possible so work on Mat, work on! haha. About three seconds after we got in our rental car Mat proceeded to reprogram the stations that we've missed for the passed couple of months. We stayed at the Marriott hotel in Waikiki and loved that we were so close to the beach! We'd swim at the beach and play and a few times when it got too dark to go to the beach, we'd swim at the hotel's pool and hot tub! There were two teenage girls in the hot tub with me and Lana one night and Lana was convinced that one of them was Ariel. She pointed to her and said, "Mom! It's the little mermaid, look!" I think it's probably because she was wearing a bikini top but what do I know.

We ate out A LOT at Zippy's, Like Like Drive Inn, Boston's Northend Pizza (personal family fave), Sumo Ramen (Tanigawa fave), L&L's (authentic kine- right Yuen's?) and even hit up the infamous Leonard's Bakery. SOOO good. But I do have to say the original malasadas are the best- don't be tempted by the one's with the fillings.

Since we were so close, we did get a chance to visit the Honolulu Zoo and Aquarium. They were fun afternoon trips and we got a kick out of watching the chimpanzee's eating their snack! Mat and I couldn't get over the fact that they were acting just like humans would. Their zookeeper was throwing food off a ledge to them and some were clapping their hands trying to get him to pay attention and throw some in their direction. Another chimp was watching where the zookeeper was going to throw it and threw himself in that direction to block the other chimp. Then there were those that just gave up and were laying on the ground in desperation. ANYWAY it was funny.

This is a very sad confession- I am from Oahu, but I am terrible at finding my way downtown Honolulu. Mat knows the island better than I do! But after this trip I can proudly say I am about 85% more confident. One of my favorite places to drive is from the Leeward side over to the Windward side. There's just something very powerful about coming out of that tunnel and taking in the stunning Ko'olau mountains. Ever since I was a little girl I've always felt so at home there and would look forward to that drive. Lana loves the mountains and I was so glad that she got to see the mountains I grew up with.

Around the end of this first week Lana was getting really lonely for some friends. She'd say, "I want to see Ronica!" (Veronica) or "I want to see Starlet and Beena and Lyssa!" (Starlet, Davina, Alyssa). So I was very excited for her to go to Maui and see all of her awesome cousins again! I know I was dying to get over there cause I really missed Mat's family and couldn't wait to see what everyone was up to. Sooo...I'll continue that story later!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

yeah man!!

When are you going to email the pictures? I'd like to blog about you and your family!

eric + ashlee said...

Oh that sounds so fun....I'm getting sick of Utah's crappy weather, no beaches, oh and no trees, that is for sure.

Natalie said...

You guys are just so lucky!!

CamKamFam said...

sounds like so much fun! crazy how much you miss the place once youare away fro it huh?! I miss home!